The Irish Shorthorn Society (ISS) are seeking to recruit a skilled Administrator/Breed Secretary for a maternity leave cover. In this role, you will oversee the general operations of the Society’s day to day affairs.
Reporting directly to the President of the ISS the position of Administrator/Breed Secretary is an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to establish a key profile within the agriculture sector.
The Shorthorn breed is one of the oldest breeds in the world and recognised the world over for their maternal strengths, and beef qualities. The breed was once at the forefront in Ireland’s agriculture sector. Practices within the agriculture sector are continuedly changing and is adapting to an uncertain and challenging future.
The Society currently has 300+ members and we believe there is enormous potential for growth as the farming community seeks to improve herd efficiencies that delivers both profit and a quality product to the consumer. We believe the Shorthorn breed can deliver on this and the person in the role of Breed Secretary will be an integral part in our ambitious to succeed.
Role & Responsibilities:
(This is a brief summary of the job description; you will be given the opportunity at interview for further clarifications)
- Provide a supporting role to elected members of the ISS.
- Co-ordinate & manage the day-to-day administration duties, which will include regular engagement with Society members, the agriculture industry sector, media and the public.
- Manage the day-to-day financial affairs in conjunction with the Society Treasurer.
- Co-ordinator and help to facilitate specific breed events to include the marketing, & promotion of the breed.
Requirement for the role: (shall include, but is not limited to, the following)
- As the Breed Secretary you often will be the first point of contact therefore it’s imperative that you demonstrate exceptional phone & email etiquette.
- IT literate, preferable efficient in the Microsoft suite of products such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate good organisational skills, with ability to identify and prioritise work.
- Ability to ensure completeness and integrity of information collected to conduct daily operations. E.g., Maintenance of Irish Shorthorn Society herd book, & all related financial management procedures.
- Able to work on own initiative, demonstrate flexibility to fulfil tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Proficient understanding of company governance and legal requirements.
- Full clean driving licence and can travel to various Society meetings & events as required.
Desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of the Irish Cattle breeding Federation (ICBF) evaluation data.
- Knowledge of the Shorthorn breed or other livestock breed.
- A qualification obtained in the agriculture sector.
The Society office is currently based in Athlone, Co. Westmeath and we are open to discussing office requirement in more detail at interview stage including the flexibility to work from home.
The position is a full-time with a weekly requirement of 37.5 working hours. This will include some evening & weekend attendance at meetings, Society sales & events.
As an employee of the Irish Shorthorn Society, it is preferable and expected that the successful candidate has no direct or indirect conflict of interest.
This is a maternity leave cover contract of employment. The rate of pay is negotiable depending on each candidate’s ability to demonstrate their commercial worth and experience. The remuneration package must be financially viable to the ISS and within its budgetary threshold.
To apply for the ISS position of: Breed Secretary
Please forward you resume / CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position are open until 12 pm, 17th December 2021.